Friday, November 1, 2013














When one of my dearest friends told me she was getting married this past fall, I knew I wanted to give her something special – not just a typical registry gift. Working with the awesome craftsmen at Seattle Stair inspired me to design a gift that could be made at our shop. The final product was a set of unique candlesticks that were turned on the lathe by our wood turner Nic Bitting. They are a combination of 4 different woods in a light-to-dark pattern (maple, cherry, sapele and black walnut). The design was inspired by my friend’s own prolific artisanship.  
She was so pleased with this gift and I had so much fun in the process, that when another dear friend was married this past week, I decided to design another set of candlesticks. These have a very different feel – inspired by Art Deco and classical detailing. They are meant to be pulled out for holiday occasions when a long table is set with many people. The materials used for the second set are black walnut with maple in the center, creating a striking detail that emphasizes the lines at the top and base.

1 comment:

  1. Your gift selection is really nice and unqiue. You have selected the master piece for your fiend to gift her on her wedding. Your choice is different but so good.

    ReplyDelete